In order to monitor your supply chain effectively you need ALL of the following components in place:
- Get data: Automatic data feed from systems - External and internal communication needs to be near real-time. The Supply Chain waits for no one and information is King in today's chain.
- Get connected: External partner collaboration - Timely, accurate reporting of Supply Chain related events by all partners (suppliers, distributors, carriers, freight forwarders, ...) Simply put, we need to know sooner rather than later that an issue has occurred. Also, a partner may not know that an issue has occurred but by simply reporting in a Supply Chain event can cause follow on actions to get things back on track
- Get collaborative: Process integration - Your ERP system needs to be highly integrated so that an exception or opportunity in 1 process can be "sensed" and "responded" to in another. This cross-functional impact is key!
- Learn from the past: Historical information - Relate what you are seeing at this moment with previous similar moments (Avoid kneejerk reactions if the exception is not really an exception)
- Gain control: An rule based event tool - An enterprise wide Supply Chain event repository with a rule engine is needed to process events and uncover exceptions. Match the actual with the plan to uncover exceptions
- Gain better insight: A real-time analytics tool - The event tool needs to extend to a Supply Chain cockpit for KPI analytics processing / dashboarding - In real-time!!!! The drill-down capability from KPI issue -> to process issue -> to instance issue... This is critical to collapse the time from insight to action.
- Give access: Make the information accessible - Provide the results in an easy to consume manner. It's important to leverage the platforms that the consumers are used to whether it be the web, twitter, email, texts, ... All devices, on which the information is provided, should be supported
- Take action: Alert and Workflow management - Once an issue has been uncovered it is time to address it. Time is of the essence! Launch an alert, fire off a text, trigger a corrective workflow, reschedule a shipment, ... Get cracking...
See more details on the Solution Brief from SAP in here.